Monday 16 January 2012

Day 4 of the First Cycle

I woke up this morning feeling very sluggish and not hungry.  It was a challenge to eat some breakfast so that I could take the pills that needed to be taken.  I took the last of the anti-nausea medication.  This was after a night of on and off sleep due to stomach gurgling and rolling.  Not sure if this is actually nausea or the other side effect of constipation.  Anyway, have started another medication to help with that.  I did find myself counting pills so that I can look forward to in 2 days of being finished with pills!!

After breakfast, I checked my email and there was a message from the community we lived in 10 years ago.  The warm message lifted my spirits and has me looking forward to when I can arrange to have a couple of ladies visit maybe during my second cycle when I know I'll be feeling good and able to enjoy my visit with them.  This message gave me the boost I needed or maybe it is a side effect of the prednisone.  Whichever, I ended up having some good energy today but didn't overdo it.  I made a really nice salmon salad sandwich for myself at lunch time.  Because I'm getting tired of water, I switched to green ginger tea this afternoon and have quite enjoyed that too.  My appetite today was much better today.

I knew Scott was going to be busy running the kids to activities and appointments after school today.  So I pulled out some frozen turkey broth/soup and added left overs from the fridge.  I let this simmer all day.  Then I made some stuffed mushroom caps.  I felt good in that I was able to make a meal for my family and have them well-nourished so they could go to the next round of activities this evening.

I also managed to do quite a bit of knitting again and even talked with a really close friend in California.  I may have overdone that as I don't have much of a voice left tonight.  One of my students' parents called and let me hear my student play a piece that he had been struggling with.  I didn't get to the phone in time, so they played it on the voice mail.  I'm saving it because it put a real smile on my face.  I'll replay it when I'm having a down turn.  I'm off in a few minutes to do a load of laundry and then I think I'll be done for the night.

The one disappointment is I received an invitation to a wine and cheese event with people that I haven't seen in 10 years.  I'm going to have to decline as the date of the outing is right in the middle of my weakest immune period during the second cycle of chemo when my red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets will be at their lowest.

All in all, it's been a great day today.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day. I hope you have many more of those ahead!

    ReplyDelete