Thursday 12 January 2012

Get Set.....

I woke up this morning feeling refreshed.  What a nice change!  I think I was able to sleep better because the beginning of treatment is set for tomorrow.  We're just waiting for the phone to ring today with the confirmation time to be at the cancer centre.  More waiting...I'm not a patient person and waiting is a challenge for me.

I, typically, have not been one to take medications and blessedly, I've never had to take too many.  This is about to change.  I had to take my first pill related to chemotherapy this morning.  I have to take zyloprim this morning and again for the next 6 mornings.  This is to prevent gout which could be caused by this first dose of chemo tomorrow.  I know there's the saying "the cure is worse than the disease".  At this point, the side effects of the cure are going to worse than what I've been experiencing with the disease, just because we found it early.  I know though, without the cure I would have a life expectancy which would most likely end in June or July.  Instead, my chemo should end in June.

I'm nervous about the chemo because I don't know how my body will react.  Some people are able to sail through without any nausea.  I'm hoping I'm one of them.  I don't like getting sick and have always had a challenge supporting my kids when they were younger and sick.  You think after almost 18 years of being a mother that I would have gotten over this.  Oh well, I'll find out tomorrow.

I made lentil soup yesterday for supper and there was lots of left overs.  I've had some for lunch today and have froze the rest in single or double servings.  I hope this helps out the family so that when Scott is going to be running kids to activities, there's something in the freezer for them (or myself) to eat.

I'm distracting myself today by blogging and also by knitting.  I'm going to also spend part of this afternoon putting together a bag of "stuff" (books, knitting, sudoku book, prayer shawl) to take with me for my chemo treatment tomorrow which is supposed to last 5 to 8 hours.

It will be nice to see my sister tomorrow who is arriving for the weekend from London.  It's been a long while since we've spent time by ourselves.  I hope I'll be well enough to reconnect with her.  I've missed her.  So far the cancer is reconnecting me with many friends.  I'll try to post tomorrow but it will depend how I'm feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that you are in good spirits today. Good luck with your first treatment tomorrow. And remember, we are a few short blocks away, so don't be shy to ask for any kind of help you may need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you would call when you need to 'distract' yourself. I am always here for you. thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Call when you feel up to it Sweetie. Miss you and Love you. TTSP.

    ReplyDelete