Tuesday 6 March 2012

Day 13 - 3rd Chemo Cycle

Today was the best day so far this cycle!  I awoke full of energy and feeling "normal".  I was able to finally enjoy a cup of coffee.  How I've missed my morning coffee.  It tasted so good.

I've had a full day.  It felt tremendous to be able to be active!  I'm well aware that I need to be careful that I don't get an infection.  My hands are dry and chapped so I didn't want to get any dirt in them while I plant my seeds.  A friend had suggested using surgical gloves which lets me still have tactile function in doing the planting.  So on went the gloves and I was all set.  I dug out my seeding flats and pots.  I washed and sterilized them all.  A couple containers still had some dirt leftover from last year's plants.  So I sterilized the dirt so I could use it again this year.  Then I found all my seeds.  I waited for the sterilized soil to cool and then I started to play.  I mixed the recycled dirt with the new seeding soil I had bought last week.  I also mixed some vermiculite into it too.  I had fun crumbling up the clumps of dirt into a fine soil.  I filled my trays with the dirt and then using my finger poked little indentations into the soil.  Then in went the seeds and I covered them up.  Then all the trays received a sprinkling of water, not too much but not too little either.

I love working with dirt.  It brings back memories of when I was a young child and playing in the dirt and mud at my grandparent's farm.  I remember the laneway had a couple of indentations that always collected the water after it rained.  I will never forget the day that my sister and I put on our rubber boots and went out to play.  We found the mud puddles and started a mud fight.  This was much like a snowball fight but with balls of mud.  We were a mess!!!  My mother and grandmother were not very happy with us but we had fun.  We were literally covered from head to toe with mud!  I apologize for going off on a tangent.  I had great fun working with the dirt today and planting my seeds.  I dug out my card table and set it up in front of the west facing window in my living room.  It gets the most sun and the warmest sun in the afternoon.  The trays of seeds are lined up ready to receive the bright, warm sun each day.  I feel like a child who will be watching the trays every day.

I know that I'm a little early to be starting some of the seeds but with my next chemo treatment coming next week, I'm afraid I would be too late when I have the energy to do it again.  I hope that seeing the seeds sprout and grow will help keep me in good spirits in the next chemo cycle.

After cleaning up, I was tired.  So I sat down and wrote some letters.  When I glanced at the clock, I realized that my day had marched right past.  It was late afternoon and time to think about supper.  I had planned to make chicken korma but I was still tired.  So I just sat for a little longer.  But time marched quickly on and the phone rang.  I looked at the clock and it was now 5:00!!

Thank goodness my husband was calling to say he was running late.  Whew!!!  So I tossed this and that into the pan and sauteed it.  I put a pot of water to boil and added pasta shells.  By the time supper was finished cooking, I had come up with an Eastern Chicken Pasta Casserole.  It smelled delicious!  My son came upstairs and went "Mmmmmm".  He proceeded to look over my shoulder and into the oven.  It smelled so good, he couldn't wait for supper to be served.

Supper was a hit.  My family enjoyed it and there's enough for leftovers tomorrow night.  I've officially stopped for the night and will enjoy watching some television while I knit the current sock I'm working on.  It's been a great day and I'm so happy to have enjoyed every single moment today.

No comments:

Post a Comment