Sunday 17 June 2012

Father's Day and More Energy

Today was Father's Day.  I am so very pleased with myself.  My husband and son were away in Syracuse for baseball and arrived home early this afternoon.  It was a beautiful warm day with a nice breeze.  A perfect day for drying laundry and sitting on the patio.  I did a load of laundry and it dried on the line within two hours.  When my husband arrived home, I settled him on the patio and provided him with a nice cold beer after a long drive home.

This morning I had made a vegetable dip using my husband's favourite hot sauce, Arizona Gunslinger Hot Sauce.  I also incorporated this sauce into the devilled eggs that I made to go with dinner.  Knowing that he likes peanut butter and raisins, I resurrected the children's snack called "Ants On A Log" which is a length of celery filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins.  We snacked on these along with the raw vegetables and dip in the afternoon.

Dinner consisted of barbecued Sweet and Sour Spareribs along with baked potatoes with sour cream and bacon bits as well as Glazed Dill and Cilantro Carrots.  I had planned to have dessert baking on the barbecue while we were eating but decided to wait and see if anyone wanted dessert.  Good thing I waited as we were all too full for dessert.

After dinner, I went to the ball field to watch my husband and son play 3-Pitch softball.  I played on this team for the last three years and felt the urge to play catch before the game started.  A girl on the opposing team suffered a minor injury and I thought to myself, I could play for them if she's unable to continue so they don't have to forfeit the game.  Then the more sane part of myself told me that I am not in any shape yet to play softball.  I might be able to catch.  I might be able to bat although that is questionable.  But I would not be able to handle running the bases or playing the outfield.  I will be helping one of our team members to warm up her throwing arm before the next game.  This will give me a taste of playing again.  But for tonight, I kept score.

I am tired tonight but am very pleased with what energy I had today.  I was afraid that after the yard work that I completed yesterday, I would be very lethargic and tired today.  I did feel tired after I had cleaned up from dinner but I still had enough energy to enjoy watching my old team.  So today was a great day spent with my family.  I was so pleased that I was able to make a special meal for my husband on Father's Day.  He has looked after me so well in the last several months and I'm glad that I am getting strong enough and have enough stamina to return the favour.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cathy.....just spent a few minutes catching up on your blog...you really have the gift of writing as well as your many other talents...when I read your blog it is as if you are sitting across from me talking to me....
    yesterday was Zach Hakvoort's confirmation to St. James...so Frank, MJ and Todd were there...we took Jim to Best Western Parkway for the brunch......or he probably would have kept working at the hay.....I am going to get him to read your blog from a couple of days ago about anxiety and what we do to ourselves...you are doing awesome...keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete