Friday 22 March 2013

Hitting The Wall (Figuratively Of Course)

Life has been going by like a whirlwind for the last number of months.  I'm not complaining because I really believe in reaching out, taking a hold of life in the moment, hanging on with both hands and enjoying the ride.  This doesn't mean that I don't think ahead or plan for the future.  It means that I am fully present in the moment and enjoy whatever is going on.

I happen to live in an area where there are many, many opportunities to enjoy culture, sports, dinners out with friends, etc.  When the opportunity presents itself, I've been jumping at it and enjoying it.  I've had opportunitites to attend OHL hockey games with my husband and friends.  I was very fortunate to enjoy many of the draws at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts due to the generosity of a very good friend.  During that week, we also were able to share a meal with our very good friends, listen to live music at the end of the day and take great pride in watching our son volunteer at the event.   The following weekend, my husband and I enjoyed a day of movies at the local Canadian Film Festival.  Amongst all this enjoyable activity, I've also been busy preparing students for the local music festival, exams and a year-end recital.  I'm very fortunate to be able to enjoy teaching.  So my days are full of satisfying and enjoyable activity and my nights and weekends are also filled to overflowing.  This past week, I was able to enjoy an amazing night out with my husband and two of our very good friends.  We started our evening with a meal out at one of our favourite restaurants which has just reopened after going through some renovations.  We then enjoyed a fantastic concert with the band "Rain" which is a Beatles tribute band.  The performance was very, very good.

The unfortunate part is that my body has decided it can only handle going full throttle for a while before it tells me "Enough is enough!!".  The day after our evening out this week, I "hit the wall" when I came down with a nasty sinus virus that is making its rounds through the city.  I had planned to continue my Spring cleaning which is almost finished but not quite.  Instead, yesterday I finished a great book by Kate Morton entitled "The Forgotten Garden".  I slept and I also started the second sock of a pair of socks that I'm knitting for my sister-in-law.  I'm dosing myself with cold medication to help keep the sinuses flowing so that it doesn't turn into an infection.  I'm also motivated to rest and take care of my body because I have more opportunities to enjoy life this weekend.

I'm hoping to attend a fundraiser tomorrow night which is all about chocolate and tasting chocolate.  Mmmmm....yummy.  I'm also wanting to go to "Maple In The County" which is a maple syrup festival that I attended two years ago for the first time and really was disappointed to miss last year.  I have been looking forward to tasting maple cheddar as well as buying some maple syrup along with an ale that uses maple syrup as it's base.  This ale is brewed by a local microbrewery.  So here's hoping that if I behave myself and look after myself today, I can grab life and go for another good ride.

I just mentioned to my husband that he's in this post today.  His response?  "Oh, oh....in context of what?!"  There's my smile for the day.  So I'll sign off, pick up my knitting and maybe another good book as I drink teapots of honey, lemon and tea.  Bring on the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment