Monday 28 August 2017

Day 15 First Chemo Round - Thrush, Hair, Busy Day

My mouth has been feeling like thrush is trying to get a grip since about last Tuesday (Aug. 22). Today as I ate my lunch, the tip of my tongue was really stinging. I thought maybe I had bit my tongue and cut it open. When I looked in the mirror, I saw a tiny white patch the size of a pin head on the tip of my tongue. Thank goodness, on Thursday, I had my family doctor give me a prescription for Nystatin. So after eating my lunch, I did the swish and swallow of the Nystatin. Here's hoping it doesn't upset my stomach as I've been feeling really good lately.

I had a very productive day today. I refuse to be an invalid before the chemo lays me flat. So I laundered my bedding and hung it out on the line. I love the smell of freshly aired laundry. I always sleep so much better with that fresh air smell on the sheets. It was another sunny, blue sky kind of day with a slight breeze so the bedding dried fairly quickly.

After lunch, I had an appointment with my hair stylist to come to the house and trim my hair. My hair will fall out and it has already thinned out a little bit. But because I have such a thick head of hair, you really can't tell that I'm losing it. The trim was just what I needed to make my hair look and sit better.

After my hair stylist left, I realized that I had forgotten to take my Clindmaycin (antibiotic) and my Tylenol. So there I had to have a snack so that the Clindamycin won't bother my stomach. I also pulled out a whole chicken to roast and have ready for when my hubby came home from work. I experimented with the rub that I put on the chicken. It was frozen so I put it in and cooked it from frozen. Later in the afternoon, I added some potatoes to the oven so we would have baked potatoes. I also prepped some fresh broccoli as our vegetable dish.

While doing all this, I recognized that it was late afternoon and I had to take some more Nystatin for my thrush. I'm glad I have a medication dosing journal because I made a mistake. I meant to take the Nystatin around 4 p.m. but instead I took my Clindamycin and Tylenol.....again. The only reason I recognized my mistake (after I swallowed the pills, of course) was because I went to write it down in the journal. OOPS!!!! I'm supposed to take the pills every 6 hours. I took it only 3 hours after my last dose. So then I took the Nystatin and now I have to remember that all these pills/liquid will be taken at the same time. Clindamycin needs to be taken with food. The Nystatin needs to be taken after food but then nothing to eat or drink for 30 minutes afterwards. This all gets very confusing for me especially when I get tired. That's why I have my medicine dosing journal. And my Liquid Intake Journal.

Also this afternoon, I had a 2 hour visit with a friend on the phone while the chicken was cooking. When the phone call ended, it was time to get the gravy ready. I experimented with that and used some bourbon to deglaze the roasting pan. Then deglazed it again with hot water. The gravy turned out very well and my hubby was stumped on the "secret ingredient".

After dinner, I went for a 30 minute walk with a very special friend. We were both out of breath by the time we returned home. And then.....I am tired. Today was a good day and very productive. But I'm tired. So it's off to bed early for me. Tomorrow morning will be spent doing errands and I hope that I can rest in the afternoon. We'll see about tomorrow but for now....I'm off to bed. I feel good but tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment