Friday 18 August 2017

Day 5 First Chemo Round

I had a much better sleep last night and as a result, I awoke feeling much better. I decided to start with a piece of toast for my breakfast because I have to have food before taking my morning meds. Everything was going well until time to take the Dexamethasone pills. These are tiny white 5-sided pills and I have to take 10 of them. These dissolve as they go down the throat. Once those pills are gone, then I have to take my Allopurinol to help clear the kidneys of the cancer cells. I took them this morning. The good thing was the water tasted better this morning. Bad thing....I had to run for the washroom and lost all my breakfast and the pills. I have no more Dexamethasone to take. My stomach is grumbly from the upset.

However, on the upside, I am still feeling better than I did yesterday. I'm just a little hesitant to add food or water or anything to my stomach. I still like my turkey broth so this morning around 10:30, I heated some up to help settle my stomach and get some nourishment.

I spent time this morning responding to emails and comments from the last couple of days when I didn't feel so good. My mind is a little more alert today than yesterday. I even worked on my knitting although I was struggling to follow the pattern. Maybe I'm not as alert as I thought today. I finished the book "Firefly Lane" today. I was a little restless and tired of working on Sudoku and crossword puzzles. However, the stomach was still a little roly poly.

Another good thing was at supper, my hubby brought home Indian food. This is our Friday night tradition although we normally go to the restaurant and enjoy the meal out. We had planned to have the food brought in tonight. All day, even with a sensitive stomach, I was looking forward to my Mulligatawny Soup, a little bit of naan bread and maybe trying some of the Darbar Rice and the Mixed Vegetables. Just before hubby arrived home, I was concerned that I might not be able to handle any of the mild food as my stomach was rolling. It was just a sign that I was hungry. I enjoyed my soup but left some for lunch for tomorrow. I enjoyed a tiny bit of rice, mixed vegetables and naan. I was full but so happy that I was able to enjoy the taste and the food stayed down.

So overall, today was a better day. I still have to make sure I'm drinking lots of liquids to flush out the kidneys. That has been a bit of a challenge but with the nourishment of soup and broth, I think I'm meeting my 8 glasses a day. Today I also had some juice boxes. The water still wasn't as good as I normally enjoy it. Maybe I'm just getting tired of water.

So here's hoping that I'm on an upswing for the weekend. On Monday, I'll be going for the last of my chemo for this cycle. I'm trying not to think about it and just enjoy my weekend.

P.S.  I took my anti-nausea supplemental pill at 8:30 like always and then I lost the battle with the nausea at 10:30. So now here I am at 12:54 a.m. after having taken the next pill at 12:30 and hoping I can keep everything down.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you had a better day yesterday. And I hope that the weekend proves to be a great one for you! I have read the book Firefly Lane. It's an easy and enjoyable read. Books are such a terrific way to pass time and they can be quite meditative when we get lost in the story. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete