Monday 21 August 2017

Day 8 First Chemo Round - Gemcitabine

So I had to arrive at the Cancer Centre for 11:00 a.m. in order to have my blood tested. My chemo was due to start at 1 p.m.  I arrived early so that I could drop by the Tuck Shop where I have worked and am currently on sick leave. It was great to see my co-workers and the volunteers that I've worked with! My daughter was with me today. I was so proud to introduce her to the people I know.

Five years ago, my daughter was in Grade 9 and wanted to spend a day with me back then while I underwent chemo. I did not allow her to miss school to do that. Today, she came as an adult and recognized that it is a long and somewhat boring day. She was glad that I had some sudoku puzzles to help her pass the time (said with a smile). I was so happy to have her support!

When I was finally called in to the chemo lab and directed to my chair, I was told that my neutraphils were low. The chemo may not happen. What are neutraphils?! I never really did find out until after I got home and looked it up. Neutraphils are your white blood cell count. If it's low, then the risk of infection is greater.  The blood work also showed that I was dehydrated from my nausea. On top of all that, I was supposed to take 2 Dexamethasone pills before starting the Gemcitabine. The Dexamethasone pills are the ones that dissolve going down and contributed greatly to my vomitting last week.  After much consultation with the doctor, the pharmacist and my chemo nurse, it was decided that I could go ahead with the chemo. We got the Dexamethasone pills into me using yogurt to help slide them down my throat. I felt like my cat must feel when we have to give him pills! The Gemcitabine was injected along with a saline solution to hydrate me. What I expected to be a 1:00-3:00 duration in the chemo lab ended up being 1:00-4:00 p.m. However, the good news is that it got done. I'm done now until Day 1 of the next cycle. I'll just have to see what side effects are going to occur this week.

Hubby, my daughter and I all went home to eat some supper and then celebrate by going out for an ice cream cone. Did you know that ice cream can count as a liquid?! Bring it on!!!!  I decided that I will start a liquid intake journal so that I can track whether I'm getting my full 8 glasses of liquid a day. Also after getting home, I decided to research what foods will help the neutraphils raise their numbers. I found a website that I will be using to create a grocery list so that I have these foods on hand. Knowledge is power! We fight this disease with knowledge and power.

I also found out today that on Friday, I will get my pic line. That'll be easier on my veins....not so much pricking and less scar tissue on my veins.

Overall, it was a good day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good day, Cathy. And how wonderful that Lindsay was there. She is such a wonderful young lady. It's so hard to believe sometimes how grownup the girls are! Time sure does go by very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Martha. Lindsay has grown into a very caring and wonderfully warm young woman. We're so proud of her strength and independence. Time does fly past. It doesn't seem that long ago that Lindsay befriended Alex back in elementary school.

      Delete