Friday 29 September 2017

Day 1 Third Chemo Round - Surrounded by Family, Friends and Great Nurses

I had a fairly good night's sleep but I did wake up at 4:00 a.m. and was feeling a little anxious. I really didn't want to go in and have my chemo today. I've been enjoying my great days this past 2 weeks. I found it difficult to get up and out of bed. For breakfast I had a bowl of Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal. However, I put one foot in front of the other today and went in for my chemotherapy. I had to be in the Stem Cell Unit by 7:30 this morning. My vitals (blood pressure, pulse rate and temperature) were taken and my chemo was ordered from the pharmacy. Hubby went down to the Tuck Shop and got me a coffee. I love coffee every morning and in the last week, I've been able to drink it again. This morning will likely be my last coffee for a long time as my taste buds change and make coffee taste like stale cigarette butts. The nurse I had today was fantastic. She made sure that I got my 2 Tylenol tablets and 2 Benadryl caplets into me before starting the chemotherapy. The Tylenol helps with the headaches that are caused by the Rituximab and the Benadryl is to help make sure I don't get hives from the Rituximab. Today, I was given Rituximab, Sodium Chloride (for hydration), Deximethasone, Gemcitebine and Cysplatin. I have been given another kind of medication that will help with controlling the nausea in this round of chemo.

My nurse took good care of me and in chatting with her, I discovered that she lived in the tiny village of Bognor. Bognor was the village close to where my grandparents had their dairy farm. I have fond memories of attending functions at the Community Centre in Bognor. I was introduced to square dances, euchre parties, BBQ's and community parties in this Community Centre. I helped my grandma cater functions there. One of my favourite memories is attending the Annual Pork Chop Barbecue. A company sets up the barbecue and uses smoked pork chops. Once you get your chops on your plate, then you enter the Bognor Community Centre and get the salads and for dessert homemade pies. As a child, we always took a piece of two of my grandma's pies. She was known for having great pies. So today while the chemo was being pumped into me, I enjoyed a walk down memory lane. While my nurse was a young child in Bognor, I was also in Bognor at various functions. What a small world!!

Also this morning, a friend of mine dropped by to visit and happened to be with me when my nurse and I discovered our mutual love of Bognor. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with my friend. It helps the time pass. I also was reading my current book called "The Someday Jar" by Allison Morgan. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Today, because I was in the Stem Cell Unit, a lunch tray was ordered for me. What a nice perk! When it arrived, I was hungry and my taste buds hadn't changed yet. I had Broccoli Cheese soup, a Chicken Salad sandwich, a cup of tea, a carton of milk and a serving of mandarin oranges segments. I didn't like the oranges so I let my hubby have them.

After lunch, I dozed off for a little bit and was abruptly awakened by the loud beeping of my IV pole. I was totally disoriented and my hubby had a bit of a chuckle at my expense. The Benadryl and the Rituximab cause drowsiness. It probably didn't help that I slept very lightly from 4:00-6:00 a.m. I was able to see the humour in seeing me jump awake and not be sure where I was.

I finished my chemo around 2:30 this afternoon. On our way to the car, I stopped into the Gift Shop to see the volunteers that I have worked with as well as the buyer who has become a good friend. While I was in the Gift Shop, I saw my morning counterpart from the Tuck Shop stocking chips in the Gift Shop. She was working way past her normal hours and she was covering for my replacement who was unable to make it into work today. After leaving the Gift Shop, I stopped by the Tuck Shop to visit with my volunteer. She was so happy to see me! My eagle eye saw changes in the Tuck Shop and I had to tell myself, "It's not my problem."  After leaving the Tuck Shop, I dropped by to see my manager briefly and was pleased to see another volunteer that I have worked with. She's also the volunteer Convenor for the Gift and Tuck Shop. Then hubby and I made the long walk to the car. I was feeling fairly good and able to walk briskly.

I had my full supper tonight. I took my Ondansetron (anti-nausea pill) with my supper. As the evening progressed, I started to feel a little queasy. I have put off having the supplemental medication but I finally went for it around 8:15 p.m. I will probably call my mother tonight and then head for an early bedtime. Here's hoping tomorrow will be an "OK" day. I know that I am going to go downhill in the next few days. I have to say that knowing I have friends and family sending me their love, support and prayers, it really helps to lift my spirits when things start to go downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment