Wednesday 20 September 2017

Day 16 Second Round Chemo - Stem Cell Transplant Experience

I had trouble sleeping last night because I started thinking about the drug, neupogen, that will help to stimulate my stem cells. I was wondering what kind of side effects it will cause and also if it is covered by OHIP. So this morning I started searching the internet for answers. Then I remembered that the stem cell website at our hospital had links to peer and mentor resources. Here is the link to one of those first hand stories that I found very helpful.
https://www.kgh.on.ca/sites/default/files/files/subsite-basic-page/final_version_mlb_stem_cell_essay.pdf

I spent my morning looking for answers and also dealing with some other scheduling questions regarding some upcoming tests. Tomorrow, I will be going to have an allergy test to confirm or refute whether I am allergic to penicillin. 27 years ago, I had a reaction to a drug called "pondocillin" which included a rash. In order to treat any upcoming infections, we need to know if I'm allergic to all penicillin. So I have the test in the morning.

Today, I decided to make a roast chicken using my homemade rub. It was a late decision and I knew the chicken wouldn't be thawed fully in time. I was correct. By mid afternoon, it was partially thawed enough that I could rub the chicken and loosen the skin to slip some rub directly on the meat of the breast and the legs. I was also able to shake some rub into the cavity. I then decided to make dirty mashed potatoes (with skin on), my favourite turnip casserole and some green beans for hubby who doesn't like turnip. While the chicken was cooking, I was looking forward to deglazing the pan and making gravy that would have the flavour of the rub. I also had a really nice visit on the phone this afternoon with my cousin while my chicken was cooking.

I spent the rest of my time, today, working on my afghan. I'm hoping it can be finished by the time I am admitted into hospital for the stem cell transplant. My hope is that during the hospitalization, I will be able to make multiple pairs of socks for the homeless in Kingston. There is a group called "Kingston Street Mission" which runs a drop-in for people 16 years and older. They provide free clothes, hot beverages and have volunteers on site 7 nights a week from 8:00 p.m. to Midnight. They are open from the end of October through to the end of April every year. I will be able to drop off the completed knitted socks to them for distribution. My hope is that the knitted socks will help keep the homeless people a little warmer during these cold months.

Anyway, by the time I had supper on the table tonight, it was 5:30 p.m. I have to admit that I was very, very pleased with the meal. The gravy was so tasty. When hubby came home from work, his comment was "It smells like Texas in here."  Hubby decided to do the clean up from supper while I continued to knit my afghan.

After it was all cleaned up, we went for a brisk walk. I'm trying to make sure that my heart, lungs and kidneys are all good and healthy so that I can pass the upcoming tests. On Monday, I have a MUGA test which is a test using a radioactive tracer (called a radionuclide) and a special camera to take pictures of your heart as it pumps blood. The test measures how well your heart pumps with every heartbeat. Our walk was brisk enough that I was a little out of breath and my heart was definitely pumping hard. I think everything is healthy because it doesn't take long for my heart to return to normal.

Today was another great day. I love feeling normal and I'm enjoying being able to create in the kitchen. Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. A really informative website, Cathy.
    Enjoyed another great day with you.

    ReplyDelete