Monday 4 September 2017

Day 21 (again) - Labour Day Holiday & My Sister's Visit

Because this was the Labour Day holiday in Canada, my treatment was postponed until tomorrow as the statutory holiday affected my chemo cycle. So tomorrow morning at 7:45, I will have blood taken to be tested and see if my blood levels are acceptable to continue with the chemo. If so, I will have my Day 1 2nd Chemo Round tomorrow.

Today was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, it was warm but very windy and I was able to sit out under our apple tree at our bistro table. I enjoyed multiple cups of tea, some grapes and my husband's company. I also got to visit with our neighbours who reminded me that they all care very much and are pulling for me. Hubby was very thoughtful and made me a sandwich for lunch which we enjoyed outdoors. While I was sitting with my hubby, my sister texted to say they were almost at our place to visit for the afternoon. Hubby let them know to just walk in and come into the back yard as that's where we are. Of course, we forgot that our front door was still locked from overnight. Once we remembered that, my son went into the house to let my sister in just as my brother-in-law came through the gate and around the side of the house to let us know that our door was locked.

We all had a good laugh and then moved additional chairs under the apple tree so that I could continue to be outside and in the shade. Due to the chemo, I am not allowed to be in direct sunlight. It will cause a major rash and sunburn if I am in the sun. What a great afternoon we had. Again, we had lots of laughter and the afternoon went by much too quickly. Then it was time for them to head back to their campsite so they could enjoy dinner and a campfire. The weather was terrific but as the afternoon wore on, clouds started to move in.

By 6:30 p.m., we had a thunder storm system moving in that is supposed to last overnight. We received a text from my sister indicating they had packed up and left the campground to head to a hotel for the night. We offered up our guest bed but understood when they said they had already hit the highway and were making the first part of the trek home. What a lousy weekend for camping for them. Saturday was nice until about 1:30 Sunday morning and then it rained all day and then off and on throughout Sunday night overnight. Today, in the best part of the day, they were with us in our back yard. They really didn't have a great weekend to enjoy their tent. I feel for them. However, I really, really appreciate that they drove a great distance to come and visit me. I felt their love throughout our visit with them.

My sister's visit helped me get through the nerves of waiting for tomorrow to come. I had a very enjoyable day and my hope is that my blood levels will be acceptable to continue with the chemo tomorrow. Tonight, I did notice that my hair is falling out. If I want to, I can pull tufts of hair out of my head. When I mentioned it to hubby, his face was very expressive and it bothered him. When I asked him about it, he mentioned that it just brings the reality of it all more clearly to him. I reminded him that I have some lovely head coverings that I am more than happy to wear once the hair is gone.

Let's hope Day 1, 2nd Chemo Round take place tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment