Monday 11 September 2017

Day 7 Second Chemo Round - Not Quite Myself

I awoke this morning feeling tired and fuzzy headed. It has been difficult to type and communicate today. I've just wanted to sleep all day. However, today was my scheduled chemo for the normal Day 8.  Hubby went to work for the morning while I tried to stay up but ended up going back to bed.

We had to be at the Cancer Clinic for 12 Noon to have my blood taken and tested to make sure the levels were OK for going ahead with the chemo which was scheduled for 2:00 p.m.  My blood was taken and then we had a long wait for the chemo appointment. My blood levels were good enough to continue. I had my crossword book and the current book that I'm reading with me to help pass the time. My problem was that I couldn't concentrate enough to do it. I kept nodding off and falling asleep while doing the crossword.

I was partially zoned out when friends of our's came by as they also had an appointment at the Cancer Clinic.  It took me a few moments to come to and recognize them. How nice to see them and they accepted me as I was today! They continued on their way to their own appointment after a brief visit. I continued to zone in and out and then I heard my name called.

I followed the nurse in and set myself up in the lazyboy style chair for my chemo. I put my legs up and closed my eyes after I was all hooked up. When I opened my eyes, there was a volunteer who has become a friend. She came by specifically to see me. What a lift to my spirits! She could tell I was not myself but she was so understanding. What a beautiful gift to come and visit me while I underwent the chemo.

I discovered the reason I was zoning in and out today. I was dehydrated again and my blood pressure was low. So at the end of my chemo session, the nurse was able to pump a saline solution into me to help hydrate me. It helped to raise my blood pressure.

I went for a nap again when I got home from the Cancer Clinic. However, I was able to enjoy my dinner which was the ribs that my hubby had brought home from the Kingston Craftbeer & Ribfest yesterday. The ribs were fantastic!! I had them with a salad to help keep my white blood cell counts up.

I'm still fuzzy headed but I'm able to watch the Blue Jays game and type this post. Here's hoping that my digestive tea starts to taste good again. It seems to have been affected by my taste buds this time around. If I could enjoy drinking it again, then I could stay hydrated. Tomorrow's another day.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to enjoy the ribs & salad. Is there anything you can put in your drink to make it taste better, e.g., a touch of lemon perhaps?

    ReplyDelete