Wednesday 27 September 2017

My Son is Visiting

Last night my son arrived home around midnight after a 4 1/2 hour drive. He's in his last year of university and had to attend a meeting last night which is why he arrived home so late. What a wonderful visit I had with him today. He challenged me in debates and discussions regarding some of his reading and studying as he prepared for an upcoming test.

While he studied, I did two loads of laundry and hung it out to dry. We are in the middle of a heat wave which is helping to dry the clothes on the line quickly. I also made some bran muffins in preparation for my next chemo session on Friday. I will be able to bring the muffins for hubby and I to snack on while I'm in the Stem Cell Unit at the hospital for my 6 hours of chemo on Friday. I also thought the bran muffins and the zucchini loaf that I baked yesterday could be used as a nice treat to go along with the tea that I'm serving this afternoon to my hubby's cousin.

I took great pleasure in making lunch for my son today. It was just leftovers from my supper last night which included veggies and some zucchini patties. As I reheated it in the microwave and the aroma of the zucchini patties filled the house, my son was appreciative of the lunch being prepared. It is a small thing but I thoroughly enjoyed being "mom" and making lunch. For myself, I enjoyed a tomato sandwich using tomatoes that my hubby grew in containers throughout the summer. It is a summer treat for me to have a tomato sandwich with lots of mayonnaise, sliced juicy tomatoes, salt, pepper and a couple leaves of lettuce.

After lunch, my hubby's cousin came for afternoon tea. She brought me a beautiful mug with Haida artwork on it. She brought it all the way from British Columbia when she visited there in May. She also gave me a beautiful gift. It is a container in the shape of a loaf of bread and says "Bread of Life" and in the container are various bible verses. So each day, I can take a verse out and read it, meditate/ponder it and replace back into the container. This is a beautiful gift that will be helpful on some of my bad days. My son joined us in sharing a pot of tea and we enjoyed some of my zucchini loaf that I made yesterday as well as the fresh bran muffins I made this morning. What a lovely, warm visit we had with great conversation. The afternoon went by very quickly and then my cousin had to leave. She's such a generous, warm and kind lady!

Hubby had been out of town today for his work. He wasn't sure he was going to be back home in time for dinner. My son and I decided we would like to go to Red Lobster for dinner tonight. I made reservations to include my hubby and sure enough he made it home in time. What a lovely time we had. The food was good and we enjoyed our time together. We came home and then enjoyed some zucchini loaf for dessert.

I've had another great day where I've enjoyed all the little moments that make great memories for the days that I don't feel so well. I just want to fill my good days with lots of the warm little moments that make life worth living. I'm not looking forward to my chemo on Friday but tomorrow I will again live my good day to the absolute fullest.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely, Cathy. I'm so glad you spent such a great time with your son. It is nice to play mom, isn't it? It's wonderful that our kids are off studying and living their lives, but I do miss having them at home. They grow up too quickly.

    ReplyDelete