Sunday 8 October 2017

Day 10 Third Chemo Round - Happy Thanksgiving!

Today was our Canadian Thanksgiving. This is typically a time where we celebrate our blessings and are thankful for the bountiful harvest of the summer vegetables. It is often a time of extended family getting together and enjoying a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Unfortunately, our daughter had to work in her city where she's living. It's 2 hours away. However, we have our son home for the holiday weekend and staying until Wednesday. Hubby and our son put together the turkey dinner celebration today for the three of us. From the time I awoke this morning (6 a.m. in order to take some medications), I was hoping that my nausea would be controlled enough with medications that I could enjoy the turkey dinner.

I love turkey dinners with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables and finished off with pies for dessert. I can never get tired of eating turkey. So I was very vigilant on making sure I was drinking enough liquid, taking my medications with food and on time all day. With some help from my son, I was able to do two loads of laundry and hang it on the line to dry. That activity left me feeling dizzy and weak so I sat down and knitted or watched television.

Hubby made eggs and bacon for breakfast and I was able to eat some of that. I then picked the sage and parsley from my garden to be used in the stuffing that would fill the turkey cavity. It made me feel good to be able to help in some small way with the dinner. I know I made the pies earlier in the week but I like to help with preparing the meal.

We spent the afternoon watching baseball and football on television. I made sure I was on time with all my medications and I made sure I was staying hydrated. I did notice that the cysplatin (chemo drug) is playing havoc with my hearing. I've had some ringing of the ears the last few days. Today my hearing was very muffled. I'm hoping this will not be a permanent hearing loss.

As I reflected on Thanksgiving and our blessings, I was blessed today with some good medications to keep me feeling normal. I was blessed to be strong enough to hang the laundry and sit outside in the morning. I was blessed with the company of my hubby and son. We were very blessed to enjoy a full turkey dinner. As always with turkey, I probably ate too much as I was very, very full when we finished. I was still feeling full when it was time to take the Clindamycin (normally taken with food) so I just took the pill without eating something first. As I continue to count my blessings, I am blessed with the love of family and friends. Sometimes as I go through all this chemo and the side effects, I get grumpy and tired of it all. My hubby and son were my blessings today as they put up with me. We enjoyed our dinner. We really enjoyed the pies with whipped cream.

So I end by saying Happy Thanksgiving and count your blessings at the end of each day. It helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment