Tuesday 10 October 2017

Day 12 Third Chemo Round - Neupogen side effects

Yesterday (Day 11, Third Chemo Round) was a great day. I was able to eat turkey dinner leftovers without any nausea. This was due to keeping up with the anti-nausea medications. I'm still on two antibiotic medications. One is for the pain and swelling in my left lower arm. The other is one that I have to take along with the Neupogen which I started taking yesterday. I had to go to the CBI Health Clinic (formerly CCAC) to have the high dose Neupogen needles. I had such a good day yesterday that I forgot to blog. That's the sign of a great day!

As I mentioned, I started the Neupogen injections yesterday. This morning I had to go again for the 2 needles. Yesterday the needles were put into the right side of my abdomen. This morning the nurse put the 2 vials into one needle and injected it into my upper right arm. I had a good day and my nausea was under control until this evening. I just have to make sure I keep taking the Olanzapine and the Ondansetron to keep the nausea under control.

Tonight, my body is starting to show the side effects of the high dose Neupogen. My left hip really hurts and the muscle feels weak when I get up from sitting. My right knee is also starting to ache when I walk. This has been my fear leading up to taking the Neupogen. I'm afraid the pain is going to be debilitating. Then I just remind myself that I can take some Tylenol to help ease the pain. I do have anxiety about the side effects of the various medications that I take. I try to hand these worries over to God to carry for me. So far that has helped keep me from being too frazzled. This Neupogen scares me though. So does the thought of having the high dose chemo on Oct. 26 and 27.

Tomorrow I go for my CT scan to see if the tumours have shrunk at least 50 percent. This is the final test that I have to pass in order to have the stem cell transplant. Here's hoping they have shrunk that much already. I do have to go to the hospital early so that the Stem Cell Unit nurse can take my vital signs and give me my Neupogen injections. I'll take advantage of being at the hospital to return some books to my former co-worker and to say hello to some of the volunteers.

Tomorrow will be a busy day.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask what the Neupogen injections will do for you, Cathy? Glad to hear you had a good day. Love you. Janet L

    ReplyDelete