Sunday 12 November 2017

Day 11 and Day 12 - Discharged and At Home

Day 11 - Friday, November 10 - Discharged

My blood was taken early as usual in the hospital. I needed to have 2 pouches of potassium and one pouch of magnesium as well as a blood transfusion (hemoglobin - red blood cells) and a litre of saline solution for hydration. This all had to go into me through the IV. The nurse started it as early as she could but this meant that my discharge time was going to be delayed until later in the day.

I spent my time while on the IV, knitting my socks. In one of the earlier posts, someone asked how many socks had I knit so far. As of my discharge day, I had knit 5 pairs of socks (2 small, 2 medium and 1 large).

While I was on the IV, Hubby was at home madly cleaning and getting the house ready for my return. A very good friend of ours came over to help him out. She does not know how much this meant to us. Eventually, I was able to call Hubby and tell him that he could pick me up around 2:00. However, I ended up not be ready to be discharged until closer to 3:00.

At that point, I was allowed to ring the gong on Kidd 9. Patients get to do this when they are discharged and in remission. I made the most of the moment to thank the nurses and then with the mallet, I struck the gong like a true musician. And also like a musician, I was able to dampen and end the ringing using my hand. I guess this is not always the case and the gong rings on. Hubby and I left the ward carrying my belongings and made the walk to the elevators. That walk was long enough and I was already tired. I was happy to reach the front doors of the hospital and to see there was a chair where I could rest with my belongings around me while Hubby got the car.

The day tired me out so I relaxed on our lazy boy couch. My son came home to visit and arrived just before dinner. Hubby asked me what I would like to have for dinner and I suggested Chinese food. We ordered a take out order from our favourite Chinese restaurant. What an enjoyable meal it was!

Day 12 - Saturday, November 11 - At Home

I did not realize how exhausting it would be to return home. I have so many more steps to take to get to my bathroom and to my bed than I did in the hospital. I am having to rest on my couch often. While I rest, I continue to knit my socks. I started a new pair (size Large) and I continue to use yarn from past projects. So this pair of socks will be bright red. I was so happy to be home and able to watch the Remembrance Day ceremonies on television. I chose not to have television while I was in the hospital so I am glad to be home and not miss the ceremonies today.

This afternoon, the home health nurse came by to give me my saline solution. I guess my doctor ordered that I receive on litre of saline solution for today, tomorrow and Monday so that I am hydrated. The nurse arrived and got me all hooked up. She then showed Hubby how to unhook me and then throw the lines and used bag in the trash. Hubby was happy to learn something new.

In the afternoon, a couple that we are friends with, came by to deliver our dinner and also to have a visit. What an enjoyable visit it was and it helped pass the time while I was on the IV. Our visit was full of laughter and celebration as she and I were both celebrating our respective victories and joys. And the dinner that was left for us was fantastic. They brought us ham and scalloped potatoes. My appetite isn't very big right now but I fully enjoyed what I did eat. She also surprised us with some chocolate chip cookies. Who can resist chocolate chip cookies especially with a cold glass of milk!

I seem to hit a wall around 7 p.m. At that point, my brain starts to shut down and my body is ready to go to bed. I've been having early nights and am sleeping most of the night. I'm glad to be home.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you are back home, Cathy! I hope you get stronger and stronger each day, and that each day is a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete