Monday 13 November 2017

Day 13 - Good Health and Family

As I'm at home and convalescing, I have time to reflect on my good health and my family. I say "good health" because I am in remission. The stem cell transplant worked. My body is creating its own stem cells once again. The follicular lymphoma is in remission. We don't know for how long and I am at peace with that. I will not waste a single day. My son has been home visiting this weekend and this was his last day. He left a little later than intended to return home but I fully enjoyed the extra time with him.

Literally about 30 minutes after my son left, my daughter arrived for her own visit with us. I haven't seen her since August and it was wonderful to cuddle with her on the couch while I had my saline solution IV attached to me. Family is so important and as a result, our phone was busy today with lots of family calling to chat. I was able to visit with my uncle and aunt-in-laws from Scotland. I got to visit with my father-in-law from Victoria, BC. I visited with my mother who lives 4 hours away. I also got to visit with my brother who also lives 4 hours away. The phone lines were busy today but family is so important.

Friends are also important and when there is no family close by, friends often become like our second family. The support of everyone during these last 3 months and for the upcoming months is so important. It lifts my spirits and it gives me a sense of a net underneath the tightrope of crisis.

In the next number of weeks and months, I will be working on getting stronger, walking farther and building my stamina. Now is the time for me to tap into my determination and get back to "normal". I may have to learn that there is a new normal but my goal is to get back to my old normal. It all will start with baby steps and slowly build to running steps.

I've been asked what should people pray for specifically for me. I pray every day that this lymphoma will be in remission for a long time. That's a little general so what does a "long time" mean. To me, it means 5 to 10 years or longer. That is my fervent wish and I do pray for this every day. My hope is the longer I am in remission, the better chance they might find a cure for follicular lymphoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment