Thursday 9 November 2017

Day 9 and Day 10 Post-Stem Cell Transplant

Day 9 - More of the same

I still continue to have waves of nausea, diarrhea, and fatigue. My day was spent trying to survive. This is why Hubby and I were surprised when we were informed that I could be going home as early as Thursday or Friday.

The reason for this surprise is that my white cell blood counts have started to rise. This means my "new" stem cells have taken hold and are multiplying well. Hubby and I were concerned about if we were ready to have me home yet.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I developed a fever around midnight. I had to have a chest x-ray done. Blood had to be taken and sent down to be tested for cultures and bacteria counts. This may delay the going home date.

Day 10 - All Blood Counts are Rising

Today's blood testing showed all my counts rising. This is where the doctors want to see it. For me it has happened a day earlier than the doctors expected. My fever from last night broke in the middle of the night but I am still on the antibiotics that were prescribed for me by the doctor last night. One of the side effects of this medicine is diarrhea. Great.....more and more. However, at least I can have Immodium to keep it under control.
 
This afternoon, my hubby and a good friend of mine visited for part of the afternoon. Again, it looks like I will be discharged tomorrow (Friday). So I went ahead and packed up what I didn't really need for the day and hubby took it home with him.

If you are planning to visit tomorrow, I would suggest that you don't. I don't know what time I'm getting discharged but I would feel terrible if a trip was made to the hospital to visit me and I wasn't here. I will be able to have visitors at home though.

2 comments:

  1. That's great news that you can go home tomorrow. You will be able to sleep better at home. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. I bet it feels great to be going home tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful, Cathy. Things are looking up for you. I am so glad.

    ReplyDelete