Sunday 11 February 2018

100 Day Post Stem Cell Transplant Check Up

My stamina is increasing slowly. I can now string together four busy days although I am still asleep by 9 p.m. when I used to have a bedtime of 10 or 10:30 p.m. I can now shovel the full driveway in one outing rather than in a few attempts. I am able to do all the grocery shopping on my own although I am very tired by the end of it. I'm starting to be able to clean the house but again, it is done in stages as I tire quickly. I am enjoying spending time with hubby's cousin and when we get together, we often go for a brisk walk. They have started to get longer as I get stronger.

On Thursday I had my 100 day post stem cell transplant check up at the Stem Cell Unit. My weight is good. My vital signs are good. As expected after last week's check up, my blood levels are normal. I was told on Thursday that I have no more diet restrictions. Little things in life please me. I am so happy that I can again eat eggs over easy with runny yolks. I can now eat beef that is not well done. I also do not have to visit the Stem Cell Unit again. They are so pleased with my progress and no longer need to see me.

After last week's check up and this week's check up, I can now look forward to a trip to Scotland to visit my hubby's aunt and uncle to join in a milestone birthday celebration with hubby's uncle. I love Scotland and if I was very wealthy, I would have a second home there. I'm excited to visit Scotland again. I love going into Edinburgh and walking The Royal Mile. A visit to The Royal Whisky is always on the agenda whenever we go. When you walk into the store, it is wall to wall Scotch bottles and selections. When in Edinburgh, we definitely will visit it and pick up a bottle of scotch that we can't get in Canada. There are always numerous pubs that are always a nice place to rest as The Royal Mile is a long steep climb. But most importantly about visiting Scotland is spending time with our aunt and uncle. So the planning is happening and a trip is in the near future.

Hubby and I have been discussing our upcoming trip and realize that we will have to build in rest days for me. Part of me wants to just go for it and do a lot while there. I can always rest on the return home. However, I also know that when I get overtired, I start to feel ill. So rest days will have to be planned on and most activities will be based on how I feel each day.

Each and every day, I must still listen to my body and be patient with myself. Patience is not one of my strong points. I want to get up and go. I want my energy back. But as my oncologist pointed out last week, I still have another 3 months of progress before I will be at my "new normal". In other words, I may not get all my energy back. In the meantime, I will continue to try to do what I can. I want to get back into geocaching. I want to be able to walk many kilometres in one outing. I'm not there yet but hopefully will be within the next few months. For today, I'm feeling very tired both mentally and physically. This is probably because I've had three full days of activities. Again, I must be patient with myself. Sigh........

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff about your health, Cathy. And very exciting news about your trip! What a wonderful destination to return to. I wish you continued healing and strength!

    ReplyDelete